Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finding Neverland

When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about. And that was the beginning of fairies.

I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us, isn't that right?

I had been wanting to see this movie for years. Some how, I always managed to miss seeing it or would instead choose a different movie over this one. In some ways, I am glad I hadn't seen it before now because I think the person I am today is able to appreciate it more than the person I used to be could have.

Despite large historical inaccuracies, this movie captured the wonder, the magic, and the fantasy that is Peter Pan. The film captured me, drew me in, and inspired me. I am whimsical and I am a dreamer by nature, so this movie fed every fiber of my imagination. The adaptations (and deviation from accurate history) served the purpose of providing the inspiration behind the classic story of Peter Pan. The music is beautiful and magical, the acting is wonderful (particularly by Freddie Highmore who plays Peter Llewelyn Davies; Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet deliver superb performances as well), and the sense of wonder and childhood innocence radiates from this film. Though some of the imagination scenes were somewhat cheesy, they were still wonderful and had me smiling and laughing with delight. I actually found myself laughing (and crying) several times throughout this movie.

I would write a longer review, but I honestly cannot put how I feel about into words right now. I think I'm also still too in love with this film to write objectively. But, it is a movie that I will watch again and again and never grow bored with it. It is a film that sparks imagination and emotion and makes us long for those innocent childhood days when our imagination was all we really needed.

See the original post here

No comments:

Post a Comment